14 March 2010

I Need a Hero, I'm Holding Out for Hero 'til the End of the Night


I don't know about you all but 2010 is off to a bumpy start in my neck of the woods. My family has been plagued by serious health problems, a number of friends are having some major employment stress and worst of all, a few of my closest friends have split up with their partners. It's been a bit of a dismal winter here in Paris and every day seems to bring a fresh wave of bad news.

When I was little I loved to pretend that I was a superhero with all sorts of kick-ass superhero powers! Between my superhuman strength, 6 Million Dollar Man Speed, bionic hearing, elasti-girl flexibility and Wonder Woman invisible jet, I was sure to have the bad guys on the run and make my Metropolis safe for all its law-abiding citizens!



At times like this, I just wish that I could have a magic healing power -- I would close my eyes, concentrate and then focus my gaze on the other person's heart or lungs or whatever ails them and in a flash, they would jump out of bed 100% recovered. Or a magic love dust that would materialize in my palms when I rubbed my hands together. I would blow it in the direction of any two people. It would wrap them in a nice, shimmering glow and before you know it, all problems, stresses and conflicts in their couple would be shrugged off as they gazed lovingly into each other's eyes and set off hand-in-hand towards the sunset. Or the power of persuasion to plant thoughts in the minds of the heads of corporations and factory bosses -- to convince them that every employee was good, and needed, and should be rewarded for a job well-done. Not to be made redundant or cheated out of the raise or bonus they had worked so hard for. Etc.



To all my friends and family who are going through some difficult times right now, I say courage, this too shall pass. And while I may not wear a cape or have the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound, I do have some special gifts I can offer -- like a yummy cupcake when your heart is heavy or you are feeling down, an open door and a cup of tea when it feels like the world has shut you out, and the capacity to listen without judgement and provide comfort when needed. No need to shine a symbol up into the night's sky. All you got to do is call, and I'll be there....

2 comments:

  1. I love KA-POW! Lovely cupcakes x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely a super hero. The cupcakes look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete