06 November 2008

White Chocolate Cupcakes with Orange Buttercream Icing


Recently, I purchased some delicious orange chocolate Halloween candies at our local chocolatier/ patissier. They were creamy, luscious and tangy -- a real satisfying taste combination. And the fact that they were shaped as witches, goblins and ghosts made them an excellent holiday treat. I wanted to see if I could replicate this taste sensation in a cupcake.

There is a new white chocolate bar on the market here made by Nestle to be used specifically in baking, and boy, is it delicious. I started with some of these and melted them down to be added to a traditional vanilla cupcake recipe (though reduced the amount of sugar usually added to compensate for all the sugar in the chocolate bars). For extra white chocolate ka-pow!, I placed one square on top of each cupcake before baking. These finished up settling in the bottom half of the cupcake after baking, and made for a nice added surprise when eaten.

For the buttercream, I used my regular mixture of butter, powdered sugar and crème liquide and into this grated the zest of 2 fresh clementines. I finished it by adding the juice of 3 freshly squeezed clementines and some orange food coloring to really dial up the color.

My son proclaimed these "Yum-my!" I think they turned out pretty good and did justice to the candy that inspired the lot. Next time, I may try adding an extra egg or two; these cupcakes were moist and light the day they were baked and the day after, but became a little more dense and spongey the longer they sat.

No comments:

Post a Comment